Thursday, November 08, 2007

Dell is the devil incarnate

I've got a beef with Dell. Alan wanted a laptop. For space reasons, we really need him to get a laptop. Dell had an offer for 0% financing for 6 months plus an instant rebate on their laptops. We looked into it and for what Alan would need, Dell's price seemed comparable. So I signed up for the financing deal, since I've got better credit, and was approved. Easy right? So we purchased the laptop on 10/25 and were supposed to get it 11/2. On 10/30 (the day before the computer was to be shipped) the order was cancelled. I got a late call on 10/31 saying my order was cancelled. No reason given. I called Dell and talked to 2 customer service reps and sent a email to customer service and was told that something had not been verified on my account. No one could or would tell me what that something was. As an incentive to reorder, they gave us a 6% discount on our purchase. After discussing it, we reordered through a customer service rep online chat. The service rep gave us next day shipping free of charge in addition to our 6% off to apologize. Great deal right? He said my account had no problems and emailed me a transcript of the chat and everything. He suggested I call financial services in the morning to verify that my account was ok. So the next morning I called on my way to student teaching. I talked to Francis and had to explain my problem 3 times and I still don't think he got it. Long story short I said 'I just want to know if you are going to cancel my order.' He said no. Done right? No. Yesterday (again the day before the computer was to be shipped) the order was cancelled. No phone call mind you, Alan discovered the cancellation when checking the order status. So by this time I was done. I sent an dissatisfied email to customer service again, and told them I will never shop at Dell again and that I was going to make sure everyone I knew heard about my terrible experience. Funny that last time I got a reply within 2 hours. This time I've heard nothing. Despite my irritability, I felt bad that Alan wasn't getting his laptop because he was really looking forward to it. While I did homework last night, he searched the web and found that BestBuy had an Acer with comparable specs as the Dell for half the price. In the end he got a laptop that was a similar size, larger hard drive, and better warranty for $700 cheaper. Yay! I guess it's better we found out that Dell sucks before we paid for the laptop. That's me story.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, that sucks, but be VERY glad that happened to you before you got saddled with a POS Dell. I can't even put into words the frustration of trying to deal with their tech support (and everyone deals with them, because Dells are crap).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home