Thursday, November 01, 2007

Meat

Today after reading Johnny's blog about meat, I sure miss meat. I usually am not such a meat eater, but because my doctor has significantly restricted me on things that I can eat, beef has been one of my cravings. I wake up everyday wanting a cheeseburger. Something dripping in fat.

For those not in the know, my doc says my triglycerides are now in the unexceptable range (almost 300). I'm pretty much limited to chicken, turkey, and fish. I can only eat so much chicken and I don't like turkey (and for those that say ground turkey tastes like ground beef you lie. It tastes terrible. I tried. The tacos taste bitter and the turkey burgers just taste blah!). For some wierd reason I don't want fish. I generally love fish but it just doesn't sound good right now. As a compromise, I eat one slice of low fat ham at lunch on a sandwich with low fat provolone. I eat oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast. I eat raw veges like it's my job at lunch. Dinner usually comprises of pasta, low fat stir fry, or pierogies. I cheat one meal a week (Friday night date night) where I had my first cheeseburger in 2 months. It was heaven. Like the people in Fresno know, the Lucky Devil on Hollywood Blvd has amazing food. I got a black angus burger with Vermont chedder and portobello mushrooms with a garlic sauce for dinner last week. It was the best burger I've ever had and can't wait for another one.

Switching gears a bit...(Damn that was a good burger. It had the same affect as that ham. Remember the ham?) I've lost over 10 pounds in the last 6 weeks (although my weight seems to be more stable this week). None of my clothes fit me. I have to wear belts because most of my pants can be taken off without unbuttoning them. I took a cholesterol test on Tuesday and go in next Tuesday for the results. My doctor and I will have to come up with some kind of compromise. I'm not getting enough calories with my change in diet. I feel like I'm starving myself even though I'm not hungry. I'm shrinking rapidly and am tired most of the time. I'm exercising, but not so much that I should be losing weight as rapidly as I am. I'm frustrated and thought I should vent.

3 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

that's weird - do they know why your triglycerides are so high?

For me the key to eating turkey is to dress it up. I might boil the ground turkey in beef broth, or if I'm making a turkey burger I mix the meat with Lawry's, garlic powder, onion powder, and other stuff before I patty it up. Turkey chili with black beans is actually pretty awesome without any modifications.

My pants are falling off too - and I can take them off without unbuttoning them. It's crazy. I haven't eaten much meat since I got to Seattle because the produce is cheaper here and I'm poor.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger amanda said...

My triglycerides are high from genetics. Damn family genes. My overall cholesterol ratio is fabulous, even though my total always runs on the high side. But it's the ratio that is important.

As far as dressing up the turkey...I seasoned the hell out of the tacos we had one night...no go. I was ok with the lasagna we made one night, but I'm not really supposed to eat cheese now and that's how I got through eating the turkey...extra cheese. I got a turkey burger at a restaurant and it was seasoned. The meat has no flavor, so all I taste is seasoning. I think that is gross. If all I wanted was seasoning, I'd have eaten a glove of garlic rolled in oregano. The only turkey I have found that I can eat is Subway turkey. Because it has no flavor, I can't taste it's there. I really just don't like turkey.

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger amanda said...

btw...to clarify....1st amanda is not the author of this blog, 2nd amanda is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home