Friday, September 29, 2006

Another first at that laundromat....

So I had to do laundry before leaving for LA this weekend. Not uncommon for there to be very few people there on a weeknight, that's why I like to go then. I used to go on the weekends, but too many people fighting for washers and too many odd encounters. Things have been pretty mundane since switching to weeknights, but that's ok for a laundromat experience. Tonight was a bit different. There was only a couple of us doing laundry tonight. There was one woman that was probably about my age with her toddler. While she was folding her clothes, there was a woman I didn't notice come in talking to her. When I walked up to get a basket the woman turns away from the mom and says to me, "are you washing your clothes here?" Well of course I am. Why else would you be at a laundromat? I say "yes." She then proceeds to tell me about how she and her kids are from Tennessee and have been sleeping in a van and have no clothes. She asks me if I have any jeans or other clothes to give her. I tell her no and sorry and walk away. She leaves. After a little while (probably to make sure that the woman is gone) Mom says to me, "That woman asked for my underwear. Can you believe that? I told her I didn't feel comfortable with giving her my underwear. I gave her a pair of my husband's jeans and she asked for a different pair because those wouldn't fit her. There free jeans you can't be picky. I'm not giving her my jeans. I'll give her my husband's jeans." I completely am in concurrance with Mom. You don't give away your underwear and take what you can get lady.

By the way...never saw a van or her kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home