Sunday, June 19, 2005

Weekend Update!

First of all...HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!

This weekend was a bit of a whirlwind...
Friday night I came home from work, ate dinner, and checked email. Sometime during the preparation of dinner, I decided to burn my hand pretty significantly on a hot spoon plate. For the next 2 hours I had to carry a cold bottle of water where ever I went to avoid excruciating pain. That was a blast! After the burning fiasco, I went to Wendy's to babysit Lukas. Fun times as usual. Lukas played in the yard as I played the role of the Nazi babysitter that would not allow him near rusty objects and the holes surrounding the sprinkler system for fear of a damaged face/head. After babysitting, I headed over to Matt's for some In&Out burgers and we turned in early (for a Friday anyway).

4 AM Saturday, the alarm goes off. That sucked. I managed, after the alarm went off a second time, to drag myself off the couch and get in the shower. On the road by 4:40 AM and on our way to Yosemite. We were at the trailhead at 7, and needless to say, I couldn't use my hiking poles due to the burn on my hand. We managed to get to the Half Dome cables at 12. The cables weren't as gridlocked as last year, because frankly, comparatively there weren't that many people. Both of us were up the cables within 30 minutes. The cables were a lot tougher this year than I remember. I blame it on not being as terrified of Half Dome and neglecting my upper body weights this past year. Unforntunately, the top of Half Dome was cloud covered and cold. Matt took a nap and I froze and shivered most of the time. That really sucked. We headed back down at 2 and decided to take the John Muir Trail back and walk the extra 1/2 mile or so. We were back at the trail head about 5:30. It was a long, but good day. We both were exhausted and disappointed that we didn't see Me&Ed's in Oakhurst on the ride home. I was home about 9 and in bed by 9:30.

Today, I'm a bit fatigued, but not significantly sore. However, my arms are a bit stiff from the cables. I went shopping this morning for some gear. I decided to give The Sports Authority a try first then work my way down Blackstone to Big 5 and Copelands. I'm proud of my bewildered look in the store. The manager at The Sports Authority asked me if i needed help while I was scanning my Campmor catalog. The backpack I wanted to was $25 cheaper in Campmor, so he matched the price for me after I told him I was going to get it through Campmor. Then he assisted me with finding a raincoat and Camelbak bladder. The raincoat was $20 cheaper than list price. By the end of the trip I saved myself $20 plus shipping costs. That was pretty sweet. The rest of my day will be just hanging out and doing some things around the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home